Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Creative sparks fly

The kids are home from school today thanks to the Midwest Blizzard that is attacking Wichita. Of course that means I create a cleaning list to give them something to do with themselves other than watch stupid sitcoms and play computer video games. I'm not utterly cruel though. I give myself a list of jobs equally as long as each of theirs. But as I busily scrub toilets and mop floors, I can't stop thinking about Alex and Pierre. Alex and Pierre are the characters from a short story (The Project) I have started working on for my creative writing class. I got up the nerve to post a portion of it on http://www.nu-cwc.blogspot.com the class blog last night. What really got me excited was the fact that the first comment left on the blog was incredibly complimentary. Reading a complimentary review has sparked my desire to continue writing. Normally I am the type of person that is able to fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow, but last night my mind raced with plot ideas and dialogue for the story. I just couldn't sleep. So I crawled out of bed at 1:30 am and worked on the story until 3:00. I can't wait to start working on it again. It is the first time in a very long time (years in fact) that I really felt that I had something exciting and personal to focus on. I am even considering submitting it to a literary competition at Newman this Spring. I just hope that the comment on the blog was sincere and not casual flattery that was unwarranted, leading me to disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment